In simple terms, each leg of a triathlon can be broken down by the following distances in miles (and kilometers): Sprint Triathlon: Swim 0.5 miles (750m), Bike 12.4 miles (20km), Run 3.1 miles (5km), Olympic Triathlon: Swim 0.93 miles (1.5km), Bike 24.8 miles (40km), Run 6.2 miles (10km)
What are the different distances for triathlon races?
- To accomodate all different skill levels, there are several different distances for triathlon races. Sprint distances vary from race to race, but the other distances are consistent with the lengths shown in the table below. The Half and Full distances are commonly referred to as Half Ironman and Ironman distances respectively.
- 1 What are the three stages of a triathlon?
- 2 What are the four common triathlon distances?
- 3 Which part of the triathlon is the hardest?
- 4 What is Olympic triathlon distance?
- 5 Why is the triathlon in that order?
- 6 What are good triathlon times?
- 7 How far is a mini triathlon?
- 8 How long is a beginner triathlon?
- 9 Is there a triathlon without swimming?
- 10 What is a small triathlon called?
- 11 What is harder a marathon or a triathlon?
- 12 What is the most important leg of a triathlon?
- 13 Can you wear a wetsuit in a triathlon?
What are the three stages of a triathlon?
All triathlons follow the same three-component sequence: an open-water swim, followed by a cycling leg (a term commonly used among triathletes to describe each stage of the competition), and ending in a run.
What are the four common triathlon distances?
The 4 Common Triathlon Distances
- Sprint Triathlon—750 meter (0.465 mile) swim / 20 kilometer (12.5 mi) bike / 5 km (3.1 mi) run.
- Standard or Olympic Triathlon—1.5 kilometer (0.93 mile) swim / 40km (25 mi) bike / 10 km (6.2 mi) run.
Which part of the triathlon is the hardest?
The Run – Arguably the run is the hardest discipline of any triathlon because you are already fatigued from the swim and the bike, and your body is screaming out for a rest.
What is Olympic triathlon distance?
Triathlon races are held over four distances: Sprint, Olympic, Double Olympic and Triple Olympic. The Olympic triathlon comprises a 1.5km swim, a 40km bike ride, and a 10km run.
Why is the triathlon in that order?
There is no official reason for the order of events in a Triathlon but we can start by looking at its history. The first modern triathlon was held in San Diego, California in 1974 and consisted in a “run-cycle-swim” race while the first Ironman Triathlon took place in Hawaii in 1978 in the now popular “swim-cycle-run”.
What are good triathlon times?
Also known as a standard distance triathlon, the best athletes in the world would often complete the course in 1 hour and 50 minutes. The average triathlete on the other hand would expect to take around 3 hours. This means the swim takes around 40 minutes and the 40 km bike needs to be completed in 1 hour.
How far is a mini triathlon?
The sprint tri — affectionately dubbed a mini-triathlon — typically includes a half-mile swim, 12-mile bike ride and three-mile run, in that order. Distances vary depending on the race and course.
How long is a beginner triathlon?
Most beginner athletes start with a Sprint distance race for their first triathlon. While the distance of Sprint triathlons can vary from race to race, the standard length of each leg is a 0.5 miles (750m) swim, 12.4 miles (20km) bike, and 3.1 miles (5km) run.
Is there a triathlon without swimming?
The alternative is called a duathlon. A duathlon is some variation of bike and run. Usually it is run-bike-run. You could also participate in a triathlon on a relay team.
What is a small triathlon called?
Half Triathlon This is sometimes called a 70.3 triathlon for the total mileage covered during the race. The Half involves a 1.9 kilometer (1.2 mile) swim, a 90 km (56 mile) bike, and 21.1 km (13.1 mile) run.
What is harder a marathon or a triathlon?
Coaches and experts in sports science say high-intensity running is a lot harder on the body and wears down muscles far more than swimming and cycling. To be fair, Ironman Triathlons, which tack a marathon on the back of 2.4-mile swim and a 112-mile bicycle ride, are likely more taxing on the average body.
What is the most important leg of a triathlon?
The run is still still the most important leg but with a smaller margin now than ten years ago. In fact 2015 has been the first year where I observed the bike on average being more important than the leg.
Can you wear a wetsuit in a triathlon?
Wetsuits are common in triathlons, but not always universally allowed. The most hard and fast rule about what temperature makes a race wetsuit-legal comes from the USA Triathlon association, which states that swimmers using tri wetsuits at water temps of above 78 degrees are not eligible for official race awards.