Wetsuits for a triathlon cannot be more the 5mm thick. The two most common types of wetsuits are sleeved and sleeveless. Full sleeved wetsuits are better for the coldest water temperatures and are the most efficient. Sleeveless is great for cooler water temperatures but let in water which can cause drag.
What are the different types of triathlon wetsuits?
- Best Performance Triathlon Wetsuits ROKA Maverick Pro II Wetsuit. ROKA updated its older Maverick Pro model so that its new one gives you the most natural feeling in the water. Zone3 Vanquish Triathlon Wetsuit. Though it may not necessarily sit at the head of the class, Zone3 is no slouch when it comes to triathlon wetsuits. ORCA Alpha Wetsuit. De Soto T1 Wetsuit. More items
- 1 What thickness wetsuit do I need for triathlon?
- 2 Can I use a normal wetsuit for triathlon?
- 3 Can you do a triathlon in a surf wetsuit?
- 4 Do I need a wetsuit for Ironman?
- 5 Do triathlon wetsuits keep you warm?
- 6 Can I use a surf wetsuit for scuba?
- 7 Can you swim in normal wetsuit?
- 8 Can you swim in a regular wetsuit?
- 9 Can I use a diving wetsuit for triathlon?
- 10 What are the best wetsuits for swimming?
- 11 How do I choose a wetsuit for open water swimming?
- 12 Is Ironman Barcelona wetsuit legal?
- 13 Is Ironman Chattanooga wetsuit legal?
- 14 Is Ironman Augusta wetsuit legal?
What thickness wetsuit do I need for triathlon?
USAT, ITU and WTC (Ironman) have rules restricting the thickness of the wetsuit to no more than 5mm. Most brands will put the thickest rubber on the front torso and legs to give the heaviest areas of your body the most buoyancy. Thinner rubber (1.5-2mm) at the shoulders allows for greater flexibility and arm speed.
Can I use a normal wetsuit for triathlon?
You could wear a water-sports wetsuit for a triathlon, although you will find it significantly harder both during the swim and also getting it off in transition. A water-sports suit is likely to be enough of a hindrance that you won’t need to worry about being in the mix for the medals.
Can you do a triathlon in a surf wetsuit?
It is possible to use Surfing or Diving wetsuits in triathlon, however, their thickness should not exceed 5 millimeters, or else the participant would be violating Triathlon rules and will be subject to disqualification.
Do I need a wetsuit for Ironman?
Ironman triathlon races have a minimum water temperature that athletes will be allowed to wear a wetsuit. The swim portion becomes “Wetsuit Legal” when the water temperature is at or below 76.1F/24.5C. The swim portion becomes “Wetsuit Optional” when water temperatures are between 76.2F/24.55C and 83.8F/28.8C.
Do triathlon wetsuits keep you warm?
Wetsuits used in diving and water sports are designed to keep you warm. Triathlon wetsuits are not only designed to keep you warm but they also can keep you cool enough to prevent overheating. Made from neoprene, the thickness of the fabric varies with triathlon wetsuit brands.
Can I use a surf wetsuit for scuba?
You can use a surfing wetsuit for scuba diving, but the neoprene material will wear out faster due to the extreme pressure from being underwater. It won’t be as warm either.
Can you swim in normal wetsuit?
Instead, we recommend that you swim with us in a ‘normal’ or ‘surfing’ style wetsuit that has material on both sides. They are much more durable, at least 3-5mm in thickness, and often warmer when swimming at slower speeds, rather than training.
Can you swim in a regular wetsuit?
Well, the easy answer is, yes, of course you can. But, it might not be as simple as getting just any wetsuit. Picking the right wetsuit for the job is important. It’s important to know that different wetsuits are intended for different purposes, including swimming, surfing, waterskiing, and other water sports.
Can I use a diving wetsuit for triathlon?
It should be just fine. The water will be warm but it doesn’t hurt to help retain core temperature, especially if you’re doing multiple dives.
What are the best wetsuits for swimming?
The Best Wetsuits For Open-Water Swimming
- HEAD Openwater Pure FS 3.0,5 Neoprene Wetsuit. A combination of six types of neoprene varying in thickness and elasticity enables this wetsuit to give the best open-water swim possible.
- Orca Openwater Core Hi-Vis Wetsuit.
- Zone3 Aspire Wetsuit.
- Zone3 Aspect Breaststroke Wetsuit.
How do I choose a wetsuit for open water swimming?
In terms of performance, you should look for a suit with as much rubber versus material (neoprene) as possible. There will be different grades of rubber (which will also effect the price) but the less material the better. Material on the outside of a wetsuit is heavy and will soak up water over time.
Is Ironman Barcelona wetsuit legal?
Wetsuits are optional but strongly recommended.
Is Ironman Chattanooga wetsuit legal?
Official water temp: 77.1 degrees. That is wetsuit optional. If you wear a wetsuit you will start at the back and not be eligible for awards or slot allocation. So close to wetsuit legal!
Is Ironman Augusta wetsuit legal?
Official water temperature is 76.7 degrees. This will not be a wetsuit legal swim.